TEAM LEADER: Karl Gutbrod
PROJECT IDEA: A common problem of farmer relates to the decision when and where to fertilize the soil in relation to a given crop stage, weather conditions or field topography. With this project idea we want to prepare for a potential user a set of tools helping him to decide about the feasibility and rentability of going to the field and fertilize given a current weather and soil conditions in given relief and potentially also given a current crop stage.
Decision criteria are:
- is nitrogen fertilisation useful in that area (land use map) – not in forest, water
- is nitrogen fertilisation permitted in that area (optional: map of water catchment areas, seasonal restrictions, protected areas)
- is the crop at the right stage (Satellite maps: is the crop in a phenological phase that requires fertilizer? + photographs acquired from the smartphone (both optional))
- is the soil not too wet to apply fertilizer and drive with a tractor (soil type and moisture ).
- multiple corn fields in Austria
- Open land use map
- Crop growth incrementation from Sentinel-2
- Soil type
- Climate: rainfall, wind.., as well as historical weather data
- Soil moisture