In 2016, the INSPIRE Conference hosted the first INSPIRE hackathon on volunteered geographic information and citizen observatories, also known as the INSPIRE Hackathon. The organisers, mostly representatives of European research and innovation projects, continued this activity at the next INSPIRE Conference in 2017.
The INSPIRE Hackathon is a collaborative event for developers, researchers, designers and others interested in open data, volunteered geographic information and citizen observatories. The main driving force for the INSPIRE Hackathon is provided by experts from existing EU projects, and its primary objective is to share knowledge and experience between the participants and demonstrate to wider audiences the power of data and information supported by modern technologies and common standards, originating from INSPIRE, Copernicus, GEOSS and other initiatives.
The INSPIRE Hackathon concept has been developed using the INSPIRE initiative as an umbrella or framework for the continuous inclusion of new contributions from European and international professional networks and projects such as the H2020.
In addition to the main INSPIRE Hackathon included in the annual INSPIRE conference, several satellite INSPIRE hackathons are being organised at different venues.
- Lisbon, INSPIRE Hackathon 2019, Lisbon (satellite hackathon)
- Patras DataBio Hackathon 2019, Patras (satellite hackathon)
- Nairobi INSPIRE Hackathon 2019, Nairobi (satellite hackathon)
- Prague INSPIRE Hackathon 2019, Prague (satellite hackathon)
- INSPIRE Hackathon 2018, Antwerp
- Valmiera INSPIRE Hackathon 2018, Valmiera (satellite hackathon)
- ORLÉANS/OGC INSPIRE Hackathon 2018, Orléans (satellite hackathon)
- Prague INSPIRE Hack 2018, Prague (satellite hackathon)
- Pilsen Open 2017, Pilsen (satellite hackathon)
- INSPIRE Hackathon 2017, Kehl
- INSPIRE Hackathon 2016, Barcelona